Thursday, February 7, 2013

Phone Interview

I guess I am a little behind on blogging considering I started it today and I have officially been accepted into the program.
I have been looking into the Walt Disney International College Program ever since I can remember. I finally turned 18 which meant I could actually apply this year. It started out simple enough, just submitting your resume to YummyJobs. From there they give you a few months to wait as they go over all of the other applications they have received  If they seem impressed by the resume you provided them you will get an email saying you will be receiving a phone interview.

When I got the email saying I was moving on to the phone interview I cried.
I had never been so excited
I assumed that this being the first time I had applied that I wasn't going to get past that. I told myself I wasn't going to get too excited for it because I didn't know what to expect of the phone interviews. Luckily for me I found a ton of youtube videos about Disney phone interviews. I will be posting my own advice video in a little while. These calmed my nerves because in the videos they say how easy it is and they just want to get to know you.
Preparing for my phone interview I think I went crazy. I had an idea of what questions they would ask based on the youtube videos so I had typed up responses to each question, highlighted them, made cue cards and had post it notes all around my desk saying things like: "Confidence," "Smile," "Be Yourself." Yeah... I went all out. I have never wanted anything more then how much I wanted to take part in this program. So, I had my computer out open to the Disney ICP webpage and was ready to go. I was told they would call me around 2:30 so I was ready by 2 incase they called earlier.
2:30... still no call
2:45... still no call
3:00... still no call
By this time I thought she had changed her mind about me and was going crazy. I finally decided to check my email about the phone interview to make sure I had given her the right phone number and everything. Yeeep, I gave her all the right information... except the interview wasn't going to happen until a week later. I had gotten so worked up that she wasn't going to call me but really I got the dates mixed up.
Next week I did the same thing, I had all my supplies around me and was ready to go. Kristen (the representative from YummyJobs) called me at 2:40. She started out just asking me questions about school, my passport and just some formality stuff.
From there the first question she asked me was why I want to work at Walt Disney World?
I answered her saying:
Ever since I was little my family and I had gone on trips to Walt Disney World and ever since that very frist trip I have been in love. I remember the amazing customer service I received  all the smiles the kids had on their faces from being starstruck by their favorite characters and I loved it. I remember we were vacationing during the Year of a Million Dreams and I saw so many people getting magical moments and I knew I wanted to bring those magical moments to people.
DO NOT FORGET TO SAY WHY YOU WANT TO TAKE PART IN THE PROGRAM AND NOT JUST WHY YOU WANT TO WORK AT WALT DISNEY WORLD.
It's easy enough to get a job working for Walt Disney World. You go to Florida and apply. To take part in this program you need something extra. You want this because it is a youth program that would look great to any future employers, you want this because you want to network with different professionals, you want this because you like meeting new people from around the world. You want this for so many more reasons then just the working at Disney aspect. With this program you get extra opportunities like residence functions, voluntEARing, and more!

That is probably the most important question they are going to ask you. From then on they ask you want kinds of roles you are interested in and why. What I did for this was explain to them I had knowledge of the roles I was applying for and why I would suit it. They ask you if you would be okay living with a roommate and if yes, would you be okay living with a roommate from a different country.
My phone interview was a few months ago so I can't quite remember the details too well but that is what I do remember and that is what is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment